Thursday, October 15, 2009

“It would be good if I lived only in the present.”

Kinki Kids’ concert tour from last year came out on DVD, including the New Year’s performance I was at. So now there’s all sorts of video clips popping up that I can torture/regale you with. As well as practicing my Japanese translation skills.

I used to say “Ai no Katamari” was my favorite Kinki Kids’ song, until I realized that since it wasn’t released as a single, the average Japanese person doesn’t know it. I couldn’t get that wonderful conversational moment of, “Oh, I love that song too!” So I switched to saying one that is more commonly known. But I still have a huge soft spot for this one. Not only can I identify with the lyrics (I freely admit I have at times been scared to get on the train, and am quite spoiled) but they wrote the song together. Koichi did the music so it’s his usual fast-paced and somehow exotic melody. Tsuyoshi wrote the lyrics so it’s his usual mix of words with multiple meanings and slightly odd emotions. Somehow it’s the perfect combination.

You are so prone to worrying
That I don't like to put you on the train.
As though you were a fragile little girl,
It makes me kind of happy.

When I meet someone on the street
Wearing the same perfume as you,
For a moment, recalling your warmth,
I want to follow them.

Things I want to teach you, things I want to show you,
There are too many,
Because my words and my actions
Are only for your sake.

When you hug me with all your strength,
My heart sings, glad to be with you.
I don't need something like Christmas,
Every day is a bundle of love.

Let's love each other tomorrow morning, as well.

Even if we have some kind of fight,
Even if we have different values,
If we can smile for one second
That is our weapon.

Your appearance keeps changing,
Lovelier than any shape.
Pass through this winter also,
And become more amazing.

My love is so great
That I think I might lose you.
Impatient with myself,
It would be good if I lived only in the present.
Hey, it's started to snow

Your expression like a spoiled child's
Suddenly becomes mature.
I treasure all of it,
Every single time you let me see.

When you hug me with all your strength,
My heart sings, glad to be with you.
I don't need something like Christmas,
Every day is a bundle of love.

You are the last person I needed to meet.

No comments: