Friday, November 6, 2009

谷村新司 昴ーすばる

“Subaru” is one of those nostalgic, beautiful enka songs that I love most. Before you ask why there’s a song about a type of car, subaru is Japanese for the Pleiades constellation. Written and originally performed by Tanimura Shinji, it was also covered by the “Queen of Enka,” Misora Hibari:

I think I’ve said before that a lot of enka has down-to-earth, simple lyrics – this is not one of them. I’ve tried for a while to translate the lyrics to my satisfaction, but Tanimura-san loved using alternative kanji, which means this is even poorer than my usual attempts:

I close my eyes and see nothing, then I open them sadly.

From the road facing the wilderness I see nothing else.

Ah, you stars of shattered destiny,

At least shine quietly on this body.


I will go, with my cheeks pale.

I will go, farewell to the Seven Sisters.


If I breathe, the winter wind keeps howling in my chest.

Even so, my heart still feverishly pursues a dream.

Ah, you lively nameless stars,

At least vividly do away with this body.


I also will go, as my heart commands.

I also will go, farewell to the Seven Sisters.


Ah, someday, someone on this road -

Ah, someday, someone on this road -

I will go, with my cheeks pale.

I will go, farewell to the Seven Sisters.

I will go, farewell to the Seven Sisters.


If this song doesn’t make your heart ache a little I think you might need to have a doctor check that you have one.

More recently, I was delighted to hear my favorite Tsuyoshi singing it in the background of some special feature – if only the narrator would be quieter:

And last but certainly not least, a junior high school brass band performs their own rendition:

No comments: