Sunday, May 16, 2010

“Kaze no Sonetto” by Kinki Kids

I haven’t been posting much, even though I’ve settled into the new schedule, as I’ve been in a poor mood for it. Even as someone widely rumored to be a pessimist, it came as a surprise to me that for a couple of weeks now there has been under constant debate in my head the question “If we are going to die, what is the point of living?” Over and over, which as fascinating as my brain apparently finds it, doesn’t make for interesting blogging.

So while I’m waiting for that to end, I’ll give you some more translation attempts which are a nice distraction.

 

Aimlessly pushing through a sea of blue-green grass,
If I chase after the flowing clouds, what will I see?

The far, far sky piling on my heart,
When even the sound is cut off, I stay standing still.

A petal flutters in my palm. Blown by the wind, it drifts down.
As though my heart is empty inside, there blooms a pale pink flower,
Trembling with sorrow, only being shaken.

Leaning my body against the trees in a deep forest,
If I open my ears to the wind's song, tears stream down my face.

Sometimes I forgot even the memory of being left behind.
In this place where your figure disappeared, the colors stay faded.

Before my eyes the future is flickering. Soon the dream will scatter.
Spreading its wings, soaring in the great sky, that bird of light
Quietly flies into the distance and just now disappears.

A petal flutters in my palm. Blown by the wind, it drifts down.
As though my heart is empty inside, there blooms a pale pink flower,
Trembling with sorrow, only being shaken, swayed by the distance.

 

Another from the J album, “Sonnet of the Wind” varies from my last offering in that the melody is actually just as depressing as the lyrics. For reasons that are a little embarrassing to express, I was quite moved to see it in performance – every time. It’s my theatre background – I’m a sucker for good staging.

It’s an unusual song for some other reasons, however. It’s not a love song – though sad songs are no stranger to this duo as I’ve said before, it could be interpreted as not a breakup song either. I was about to say it was quite short, but then looked at the time and realized it’s a respectable 5 minutes. But it’s one of those songs that leave you wanting more.

What struck me most is how divided it is. Tsuyoshi sings a verse and a chorus, then Koichi does. Only on the very last line do they sing together, which is rare for one of their songs. It emphasizes the solitary and – here’s that word again – melancholy tone. I suppose one reason why I like musical duos or groups better than solo artists, even when they sing about how alone they are they’re singing it together. “You broke my heart so I’m going to cry about it in the rain,” they say, “all by myself with seven of my friends.” Nothing says camaraderie like harmony.

風のソネット kinki kids 歌詞 英語 翻訳 English translation

No comments: