Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Kilometer stones

Out of curiosity, I had calculated my 500th day in Japan and marked it on my calendar. But then I realized it would occur a few days after I had left to visit America this past summer. I was torn – did I celebrate the 495 day instead, though that didn’t have the same ring to it? Did I celebrate the 500th from the day I’d arrived according to the calendar, even though I’d be in America and therefore would be cheating on “days in Japan”? Did I pause and pick up a few days after, though that also had a faintly weak feel to it, still fresh from another country?

Finally I paused the countdown, started when I came back, and reset a new goal – my 600th day in Japan. And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, would be today.

Wonder if I can make it to a thousand?

No comments: