Friday, April 30, 2010

“The Ballad of Reading Gaol” by Oscar Wilde

Like two doomed ships that pass in storm
We had crossed each other's way:
But we made no sign, we said no word,
We had no word to say;
For we did not meet in the holy night,
But in the shameful day.

And all the woe that moved him so
That he gave that bitter cry,
And the wild regrets, and the bloody sweats,
None knew so well as I:
For he who live more lives than one
More deaths than one must die.

Yet all is well; he has but passed
To Life's appointed bourne:
And alien tears will fill for him
Pity's long-broken urn,
For his mourner will be outcast men,

And outcasts always mourn.

 

Today April ends, and with it my goal of posting a poem for every day of National Poetry Month. Though it took a bit of planning to make sure I had a decent representation, it was a fun challenge to have a theme. I’d like to do it again if I can think of interesting topics. Feel free to suggest, dear readers, any sort of “top ten” or interest you’d like to see me write about <3

No comments: