Friday, April 30, 2010

“The Ballad of Reading Gaol” by Oscar Wilde

Like two doomed ships that pass in storm
We had crossed each other's way:
But we made no sign, we said no word,
We had no word to say;
For we did not meet in the holy night,
But in the shameful day.
…

And all the woe that moved him so
That he gave that bitter cry,
And the wild regrets, and the bloody sweats,
None knew so well as I:
For he who live more lives than one
More deaths than one must die.

…

Yet all is well; he has but passed
To Life's appointed bourne:
And alien tears will fill for him
Pity's long-broken urn,
For his mourner will be outcast men,

And outcasts always mourn.

 

Today April ends, and with it my goal of posting a poem for every day of National Poetry Month. Though it took a bit of planning to make sure I had a decent representation, it was a fun challenge to have a theme. I’d like to do it again if I can think of interesting topics. Feel free to suggest, dear readers, any sort of “top ten” or interest you’d like to see me write about <3

No comments: