Sunday, July 25, 2010

“Now I’m saving all my lovin’ for someone who’s loving me - “

Our girls volleyball team won a tournament, and a grateful parent of one of the members sent a gift to the teachers. An entire crate of mangos, all the way from Mexico. Not just for the teachers who actually coach the team, one mango for every teacher. I’ll never quite understand the Japanese gifting culture – but I’m also not about to turn it down, especially in the form of fresh, expensive, delicious fruit.

 

Since I first fell in love with the song of the Japanese Bush Warbler in Kamakura, I’ve had the chance to hear it on a few occasions since – usually when passing random groves or wooded yards.

It was only today that I realized my school is so close to the park, that when the windows are open this time of year I can sit at my desk and hear it constantly, like a concert just for me. It struck me, this could be such a beautiful, perfect place to work, that tears came to my eyes.

No comments: