Monday, September 13, 2010

“There is nothing in the desert, and no man needs nothing.”

The first time I went to Kansai, I was told to visit Himeji castle but didn’t because it was a few hours out of the way and I didn’t have much time. I regretted it soon after, when I learned it had gone under construction and would not be out for several years. But this time I wanted to see it even with the scaffold.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

This is the well known for the ghost legend of Okiku.Photobucket Photobucket

Evidently they couldn’t find enough big stones to build the foundation, so in some parts coffins were use: Photobucket

The walls have a curve to make them harder to climb: Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Every lord had his own seal, and it would be place on the edge of the roof of the portion of the castle built while he was in power. It’s fascinating that you can walk along and see the gradation of eras.

And then some of them are just plain cute:Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

And then I bought the guidebook to get the full effect of the “White Heron Castle.”

Photobucket

No comments: