Sunday, February 6, 2011

Florence + the Machine

If you ask me, harps are a greatly under-appreciated instrument in the world of modern music. It’s mainly found in classical, folk, or New-Age, and on the rare occasions when it’s in something more mainstream, it’s as a gimmick, briefly brought out for effect or affect – the Beatles’ “She’s Leaving Home” or the Cowsills’ Flower Girl song.

So you can imagine my delight to discover Florence Welch who regularly uses harpist Tom Monger among her backup musicians. Here is harp that isn’t restrained by its gentle image – here is music that is boundless energy and creativity.

The extremely strange music video to the extremely catchy

Leave all your love and your longing behind.

 

The kind of achingly triumphant

Midas is king and he holds me so tight And turns me to gold in the sunlight.

 

No visible harp, sadly, but made up for by the passionate titular

I swallow the sound and it swallows me whole Till there's nothing left inside my soul

No comments: